Monday, March 19, 2012

Foraging Party

Some friends and I are getting stoked for a foraging party (any excuse, right?) now that spring is nearby.  As opposed to our no-shower happy hours after work on occasional Fridays, this will be on a Sunday afternoon in deference to my farmgirl friends with little kids.  It'll also give us Saturday to gather some wild edibles.  I(we) know where watercress and upland cress is growing, so there is the salad, although I may have to "forage" some kale and spinach from the organic farm that's attached to my place of employment.  I also know of a killer patch of ramps (wild leeks), so there's the makings of ramp pesto and ramp hummus.  There are also a bunch of ostrich ferns here on the property where I'm living, so they'll provide us with fiddleheads (which taste like asparagus).  The missing link are the morels, but I've heard anecdotally about a spot, so we shall see.  It'd be nice to do a ramp/fiddlehead/morel sautee as they all take about the same time to cook.  One of the farmgirls has acorns, so hopefully she can make tortilla chips from the acorn flour.  Maybe some homemade spinach pasta.  Maybe we'll forage some beverages from the PA Liquor Control Board store and have ourselves a soiree.  If anyone has any other thoughts or may happen to be in the Philly area mid-to-late April, you're welcome to partake.  Let me or Chowder know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home