Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In Loving Memory of Karen Kranichfeld


My mother Karen was an amazing person. She was intelligent, generous, friendly, and one-of-a-kind.

She worked with the elderly at the Osborn Nursing Home in Rye, NY. When she wasn't busy with work or family, she was volunteering at her church's homeless mens shelter and alter guild. Tutoring and teaching piano were also very important to her. One girl she tutored, Latoya, is like my older sister. I'm looking forward to seeing her tonight for the first time in a while.

Unfortunately, Karen was stricken with CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) in 2002. She fought the disease valiantly, going through years of harsh chemotherapy and even trying some experimental drugs.

She passed away on March 24th, 2010. In memory of my mother, I decided that some of this years Chowder Cup money would go to fighting Leukemia. I made a donation to Leukemia research at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Sloan Kettering saved my life and they are making remarkable strides against cancer everyday. I also made another donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I think about my mother every single day. Her energy and love are still rippling across the universe. Although I am infinitely sad she is gone I think of her smile, her energy, and her generosity and my sadness turns to joy. Joy from being lucky enough to have spent so much time with the greatest person I have ever known.

I love you mom.

2 Comments:

At February 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Scott Vales said...

What a Fox

 
At January 27, 2020 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Derrick said...

Chowder, I was side-by-side with her, at the Open Arms Men's Shelter sleep-over, at Christ's Church. I attended your mother and father's Lobster Boil party and I miss her a lot. She was the most amazing mother, best friend, and loved by all. I miss my friend, Karen.


Love you my friend!!!

Derrick

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home