Sunday, July 8, 2012

"A Truly Wonderful Human Being"

My friend Alex told me a story about his Iphone.  It involves heavy boozing, iphones, rice, and a very honest man.

----------


So Katie and I went out for "one beer" with a friend that we hadn't seen in a while.  Well, it's never one beer.  And we bounced around from bar to bar, painting the town red, performing karaoke, and taking pickleback shots (Jameson followed by pickle brine).  We went to four different bars (and one hot dog truck).

The next morning I woke up in a haze.  I couldn't find my phone.  No big deal I thought, it's somewhere around here.  I went on iCloud and then to Find my iPhone.  iCloud said the phone was "Offline".  Absolutely devastating news.

I called every bar.  No luck.  I went to every bar.  Nothing.  I even drove to the hot dog truck.  No luck.  I thought for sure the phone was gone forever.  I thought I had insurance, but I didn't.  I called Apple and they said that it would cost $700 to replace the phone.  One friend actually offered to sell me his upgrade for a little fee (first nice offer).  With the upgrade, it would have cost me $400 to replace the phone.  Then, at 1am last night, I got the following message:

"I think I may have found your iphone. I connected your phone to my computer and it said "alex's iphone" so I just took a shot and searched for "alex" in "stamford CT" on facebook. Your profile picture looks really similar to the one on the background of the phone.

If this is not you, please disregard this message. IF it is you...this is hilarious becuase I found Will's friend's iphone on the ground. Message me back if you lost your phone."

I followed up with this person and said indeed it is mine.  He told me he found it soaking wet on Prospect Street in Stamford (it must have fallen out of my pocket".  He said it wouldn't turn on.  So, he put it in a bag with rice to dry out the phone.  It finally turned on and he plugged it into his computer.  He learned it was "Alex's iPhone" from the name.  He took a long shot and searched "Alex" and "Stamford, CT" on Facebook.  He eventually found my Facebook profile picture which resembled the person on the iPhone.  So he sent me a Facebook message.  He is in Long Island tonight, still drying out the phone.  But I am going to meet him tonight to pick it up.  Turns out we have one mutual friend too.

I am so grateful to this guy.  Truly a wonderful human being.  Little things like this restore my faith in humanity.  I just bought him a bottle of champagne.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home