Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reversal of Fortune

Two years ago in the summer, I was in a terrible place (emotionally, mentally, and physically).   I had just been told that Columbia could not help me with my illness, and that I should check my self into Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.  Aside from my mother and best friend, Karen, passing away just a few months earlier,  I was  blind, obese, exhausted,, and depressed.  I think it was the lowest point of my entire life.  I honestly felt like I couldn't go on...


Flash forward to today, Tuesday, July 24th, 2012.  I found out that I may be eligible to apply for a grant to go back to school at Manhattan College.  I could potentially earn a masters degree in counseling, which would be a wonderful career for me.   Tom and Tom, the same people who notified me about the grant,  offered me Manhattan basketball season tickets for some of the games they would not be attending.  I only spoke with them because Raya's father, Keith, has made so many connections with others during his life.  Connections with all types of people in a variety of places.      


In addition, My brother Oli, and Sister in-law Erin, were both hired as teachers in Vermont within the last 2 weeks.  My girlfriend Raya was recently accepted into a selective nursing program at Lehman.  I don't think I could be in a more positive or happier place mentally than I am at this moment.

Life is full of ups and downs.  Sometimes we cry in sadness, and other times our eyes well up with tears of joy.   That is what connects us as human beings.  One of us may feel pure ecstasy while another feels endless sorrow.  but our connections to one another and to the human race, can help us through.  So if you need some cheering up...call a friend you haven't talked to recently.  If you are feeling great...reach out to someone who has been down on their luck..  Make connections with everyone you can, because you never know just how much one impromptu call or meeting may positively influence someone' else's life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home